Saturday, 22 March 2014

Research and References

This stage is just me gathering a load of research and references for when trying to create the effect.

I found some useful information on the characteristics of the individual droplets, their shape and how they fall.

(From Wikipedia)
At sea level providing there is no wind.:
0.5 mm drizzle impacts at 2m/s
5 mm drops impact at 9m/s


As you can see the raindrops here are very different to how they usually look in photographs, their "tail" is a lot less apparent. I think this is partly due to the fact that during a rainstorm there would be very strong winds that would blow out the tail of a raindrop (very similar to how comets and solar winds work). Another factor I feel would be the cameras not quite being able to keep up with the speed and amount of rain falling, and creating a kind of "motion blur" effect.

Some reference images of rain taken from far away aswell as close up. Ideally I would like to shoot my own footage aswell but I shall need to wait for a rainy day to do that.




I found this video aswell which is a good reference for rain, however it does not look like there is much wind in this video.


Some beautiful reference for lightning (not sure I will do lightning as an effect, I want to focus on rain for now)


This is good reference for water as a material, as I will have to recreate the effect including materials.




The next step is to start building up a basic raindrop effect to start with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment